Date of the Buddha and RV

Ram Sabnavis RSabnavi at UMMG.COM
Fri Sep 3 15:00:39 UTC 1999

>>> "N. Ganesan" <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM> 09/03/99 08:14AM >>>
>I would agree that the date of the Upani.sads is indeed closely
>related to the date of the Buddha and Mahavira, but I would not
>extend the same logic to the date of the RV, which would have to be
>reasoned on the basis of independent evidence.

Arvind Sharma disagrees: "If we move the Rgveda to 1000 B.C. and
still insist that Buddha died in 480 B.C. then the whole Vedic
period is squeezed to five hundred years and not everyone is
comfortable with it. The other option is to move the Buddha's date
closer to the common era - to around 350 B.C. as Japanese scholars
have been suggesting for a long time. This might provide a solution
though it plays havoc with the chronology of the Buddhist councils,
but that is a grey area anyway." from G. Erdosy, The Indo-Aryans
of Ancient South Asia, 1995. Regards, N. Ganesan