Date of the Buddha and RV

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Sep 2 13:26:46 UTC 1999

The date of the Buddha and the date of the RV are not directly related.
While it is the dase that the Buddhist suttas like the Tevijja Sutta refer
to Irubbeda (=RV) among other Vedas, the Suttas refer to the authors of
the Vedic mantras (ye te mantaana.m kattaaro isayo) as ancient
personalities (poraa.naa).  This simply indicates a relative choronology
between the Vedic texts like the RV and the Buddhist tradition reflected
the the Pali canon, and there is no easy way of linking the dates of the
Buddha and the RV in such a way that if the date of the  Buddha fluctuates
by a few hundred years, the date of the RV must correspondingly fluctuate
by the same.  Each of these dates, apart from their obvious relative
chronolgy, must be treated as independent values to be determined by
unrelated independent evidence.
                                        Madhav Deshpande