Q: intervocalic -k- preserved as intervocalic -g-

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sat Oct 30 07:24:20 UTC 1999

Rajarshi Banerjee wrote:

> Obviously genetics does not alow for such rapid, spontaneous changes in skin
> colour in a few generations.
>
> But Indians tan very quickly, and also lose their tans quickly in northern
> latitudes.

This is true of most people of the world.  The main exception is certain
types of "leucoderms" who generally exhibit blondism. For them it
is very difficult or impossible to tan.

OTOH, there are Indians born and raised in the "northern latitudes"
or who have lived in these latitudes most of their lives, yet they
are still *very* dark.

Generally, I've found that these people are more commonly from
South India, but they aren't rare at all coming from the north.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala