dvija, dvijaati, etc.

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 8 20:12:04 UTC 1999

Refer the 2nd last mantra of the 19th book of the Atharvaveda (saunakiya)
"stuta maya varada vedamata pavamani dvijanam...."
The second line mentions the following blessings of the Vedamata: Ayu,
praja, pashu etc. which relate to Non-Brahmins as well.

Hope this helps

Vishal Agarwal
15300-37th Avenue North, Apt. A103
Plymouth, MN 55446
USA

----Original Message Follows----
From: Tim Lubin <LubinT at MADISON.ACAD.WLU.EDU>
Subject: dvija, dvijaati, etc.
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:52:12 EST5EDT

I have been trying to figure out where the term dvija' /
dvijAti first begins to appear referring definitely to *a member
of any of the three upper varNas*, as distinguished from its use as a
synonym for 'brahmin' or a label acknowledging the fact that one has
undergone upanayana (but without clear reference to birth-status).

By "early" I mean prior to the Manu Smrti, esp. the
mantra-period-texts, brAhmaNa texts, lit. and the ritual
sutras.