slander and peer pressure

K S Arjunwadkar arjunwadkar at MCMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 6 08:10:50 UTC 1999

Date sent:              Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:34:51 -0700
Send reply to:          Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
From:                   Amala Bhakta <amala at WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:                Re: slander and peer pressure
To:                     INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK

> Dear Amused KSA,
>
> Please accept my respects.
>
> According to the Bhagavat Purana, the Puranas and the ancient histories,
> which include the Mahabharata (in which Bhagavad-gita exists)are
> considered the fifth Veda.
>
> BP 3.12.39:
>
> "Then he [Brahma] created the fifth Veda-—the Puranas and the
> histories—-from all his mouths, since he could see all the past, present
> and future."
>
> Sincerely,
>
> AB

Although my study of Sanskrit literature is based on a critical and
historical approach, I have no quarrel with people whose outlook is
faith-oriented.
> From a critical point of view, metaphorical reference to
Mahabharata and similar works as the Fifth Veda is an indication of
the respect accorded to them by Indian tradition. Ayurveda,
Dhanurveda, Gandharvaveda are some more instances. The very
expression 'Fifth Veda' testifies to the basic character of and
traditional sanction to the Four Vedas.
Hope this would satisfy you.
KSA/6-10-1999