Diacritics font

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Nov 28 17:49:59 UTC 1999

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, birgit kellner wrote:

> It is my understanding however that CSX+-encoded fonts are not
> particularly useful for mixed-language documents, that is, documents
> which contain Sanskrit and European languages other than English (e.g.
> German, French, Danish) that require in themselves diacritical
> characters. The reason for this is that CSX+ has Sanskrit diacritical
> characters in places where ordinary TrueType-fonts, on which amongst
> other things Windows' keyboard-layout is based, have diacritics for
> such languages. If you want to type text in more than one language,
> these are points that should perhaps be considered.

This is the opposite of the actual case.  The CS and CSX character sets
were designed specifically to include as many European accented characters
as could be accommodated, in addition to those essential for Sanskrit and
Vedic.  The German and French scholars who sat round the table in Vienna,
where CS/CSX was born, ensured that this was the case.  However, the more
Indic characters you put into your font, the fewer spaces are left for
other things like European chars.  So CS has most European chars, while
CSX+ has the fewest (but the richest choice of Indic characters).

Best,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk