Usage of the word shraman

K S Arjunwadkar arjunwadkar at MCMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 23 21:06:05 UTC 1999

Date sent:              Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:11:57 -0600
Send reply to:          Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
From:                   Mahesh Shah <mahesh at STARNETINC.COM>
Subject:                Re: Usage of the word shraman
To:                     INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK

> Dear list members,
>
> I would like to know the usage of the (sanskrit?) word "shraman" in all its contexts, especially Jainism.
>
> I would lalso like to know its etymology.
>
> Thanks
>
> mahesh

The term shramaNa (monk) is used in Jaina works in contrast to
the term shrAvaka (a pious householder). It appears to have been
derived from the root shram, to toil, and signifies one who is
devoted to a variety of penance and vows in their fullest sense
(mahAvrata) as against a shrAvaka who practises vows in a limited
sense (aNuvrata).
KSA