SV: Sanskrit text books info needed

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Sat Nov 20 11:10:02 UTC 1999

Krishna Kalale [SMTP:kkalale1 at SAN.RR.COM] skrev 20. november 1999 00:53:
> Can anyone help me with a list of text books which I can use to teach
> sanskrit.  I am trying to teach 2 levels - beginners, and intermediate.  I
> studied using Indian books long time back.  I am trying to teach here in US
> so that children and adults can learn the language.  I guess an english-
> version would be good for students to follow.  I dont know where to look.

For beginners, you may want to try

Walter Harding Maurer. The Sanskrit Language. An Introductory Grammar and
Reader.  Curzon Press. 1995.

In the Teach Yourself series, there is Coulson's Teach Yourself Sanskrit.

Both these books are very commendable. There are others as well, but I have no
personal experience with them. Jan Gonda has written a short Skt. grammar with
some texts which is useful for reference, although not good for self-study.
Maurer has also been working on a book with Sanskrit texts for intermediate
students, I believe.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse