So.dhalanigha.n.tu

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Nov 19 10:11:56 UTC 1999

The plant lak.sma.naa is "a creeper having green leaves with red spots on
them", and is identified with Ipomoea sepiaria Roxb (Convulvulaceae)
according to PV Sharma's ed. of So.dhala. So.dhala's 7th varga begins with
a description of this plant (which is said to aid fertility, etc. etc.).

Balachandran and Sivarajan's Ayurvedic Drugs and their Plant Sources has
an important article on Lak.sma.naa, and they identify it with Ipomoea
marginata (Desr.) Verde., [the modern name of I. sepiaria], or with I.
obscura (Linn.) Ker-Gawler.   Their reference is to usage in Kerala.

Lak.sma.naa is not Mandrake, in spite of this frequent identification by
modern ayurvedic authors.

Prof. Arjunwadkar's response covers everything else.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list