Asvaghosa's texts

GHOSE,LYNKEN,MR BLQM at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Wed Nov 17 10:01:38 UTC 1999

Dear Dr. Ganesan:

According to E.H. Johnston, the 2 manuscripts for the Saundarananda
are in the library of H.H. the Maharaja of Nepal. Now, this was a
while back, so I'm not sure where they are now. I can't remember offhand
where they were discovered, nor where the manuscripts for the other
texts of As'vaghos.a were discovered. However, here's some information
concerning editions of the texts themselves, or fragments.

Saundarananda

The Saundarananda of As'vaghos.a  ed. and transl. by E.H. Johnston
(with Sanskrit as well). Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1975 (1st ed.
1928)

As'vaghos.a Nanda il Bello (Saundarananda Mahaakaavya).Milano:
Adelphi Edizioni, 1985 (only has an Italian transl.)

Buddhacarita

As'vaghos.a's Buddhacarita. Irma Schotsman, translator. Sarnath:
Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies, 1995.
(Sanskrit and English)

As'vaghos.a's Buddhacarita. E.H. Johnston, transl. and editor (Sanskrit
and English). First ed. 1936. Delhi: Motilal B. 1995.

I have a lot more information if you would like to write me directly.
There is also fragements of a play. I believe Luders published some-
thing on this, but I'm not sure if there's been more recent work.

Lynken Ghose
McGill University