Special numbers

John Robert Gardner jrgardn at EMORY.EDU
Fri Nov 12 19:12:53 UTC 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, C.R. Selvakumar wrote:

> *Remember reading a paper by Parpola sometime ago, wherein
> *M. Deshpande told about milkmen pouring little more than
> *404 = 4 X 101
> *101 is little more than 100 (to cross the threshold value).
> *
> *But why 4?

I'm figuring, if it's John Smith doing the asking originally (as I
recall), that there must be some curiousity at stake as to any possible
serendipity with the Web Error 404 Not Found message and any South Asian
numerological significations.

I'm curious as well, as 404 continues to inscribe itself into the
develomental reincarnations of the web -- ironically, most often when a
resource reincarnates as its URI is then most likely to change!

John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
ATLA-CERTR
Emory University
http://vedavid.org/
"If there is something you're thinking of doing, or wish you could do,
begin it.  In boldness there is mystery and power . . . . "  _Goethe