Special numbers

C.R. Selvakumar selvakum at VALLUVAR.UWATERLOO.CA
Fri Nov 12 16:13:31 UTC 1999

*
*It is 4 X 101, and 101 is a frequently important number, because it is
*100 + 1, and round numbers such as 100, 1000, 10,000, etc. are viewed
*as inauspicious, and so gifts of money e.g. to templesa are frequently
*made in denominations of 101, 1001, etc.  101 Happens to be a prime
*number but I'm unaware of any symbolical or other numerological
*significance attributed to primes in the Indian tradition.

  As you know 1001 and 10001 are not primes, and so I don't think
  being a prime number is a consideration. The idea, I believe,
  is that it should be a 'growing' number and should not 'terminate'
  on some 'neat' number. I'm not aware of any textual basis for this.

  C.R.Selvakumar
*
*Allen Thrasher