SV: Query: Etymology of sanskrit "aham"/ I

Sergei Schmalz schms060 at MAIL.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Tue Nov 9 13:23:46 UTC 1999

> > i am looking for the etymology of the sanskrit (or pali) word
> > "aham"= I.
>
> aham is etymologically related to Latin ego and Greek egoon. The Skt. form
goes
> back to an earlier form *egHom, where the H represents a laryngeal.

Dear Pascale Didier,
please accept my respectful greetings.

    To the answer given by Lars Martin Fosse I could add the following
information:

    Having Russian language as mothertongue I have remarked an interesting
tendency, namely
the Sanskrit ha-kaara is sometimes replaced by a "z" in some words which
have come to Russian
directly from Sanskrit.
    Thus, e.g. the Sanskrit "hima" (winter) is "zima" in Russian, the root
lih (to lick) is "liz" in
Russian, similarly, the 16th (?) century form of "I" was "azm" (I am not
completely sure about the
spelling).
    Although the today's form of Russian "I" is "ya", the form "azm" reminds
me of "aham" if dealt
with according to this "h to z" pattern: aham-azam-azm-?-ya.

    As far as Latin and Greek words for "I" are concerned, it is not at all
a must that they are the
"predecessors" of "aham". What's the (logical) proof for that?

Your ever well-wisher,
Sergei.