Are the gods literate?

beitel beitel at GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU
Mon Nov 1 16:30:41 UTC 1999

Allen, An interesting question and I hope lots of answers come in. I think
first, after Ganesa of course, of Brahma, who in Tamil "writes" one's "head
fate" (talai viti), I believe with the helpful recording assistance of the
divine accountant Citragupta. Then of the story Whitehead tells near the end
of his VILLAGE GODS IN SOUTH INDIA of a village deity in Tamilnadu who
receives accounts of injustices (unresolved as legal cases) to be rectified on
a pike. And Periyar (E. V. Ramasami) is said (by my friend S. Ravindran) to
have expressed his relief that the British had not also inspired such deities
as "Milestone Sami" (which at least would require reading numbers) and "High
Court Sami." There are also oleographs of Durga holding palm leaf
manuscripts.... Alf