The place name, AihoLe

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 31 18:18:07 UTC 1999

>"hoLe"  by  itself  in  KannaDa  stands  for  "river".  Will  try  to
>get  complete  meaning  of  AihoLe  later.

I think "hoLe" is related to Ta. pozhil.
In ta., pozhil is flower garden, (by the riverside?)

aihoLe's old name is ayyavoLe;
Is the "hoLe" in hoLe narsipur something similar to
what is in aihoLe?

Two ancient inscriptions, describing the guild of 500 from 1000
directions, have been found at 1) Sarkar Periyapalayam
(40 feet X 27 feet) and 2) at Piranmalai. They describe the guilds
as "ayyampozhil".

aihoLe, ayyavoLe are related to the ta. cognate, "ayyampozhil".
"ayya" may refer to beautiful. The mercantile guild is
divided into 5 groups, which are lised in those inscriptions.

Regards,
N. Ganesan