Epic MaNimEkalai

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Mon May 31 07:45:26 UTC 1999

A 16:11 29/05/99 PDT, N.ganesan a écrit :

>Some years before Thiru. UVS published his MaNimEkalai edition,
>a full maNimEkalai edition has appeared in print. In 1894 A.D.
>That editor was Tirumayilai CaNmukam PiLLai, a student of
>puracaippAkkam aTTAvatAn2am capApati mutaliyAr.
>I had the honor of holding the first M. editon in Maraimalai ATikaL
>library, Chennai. ........
>It is important that this First edition of Tirumayilai
>CaNmukam PiLLai be reprinted as such by photographic scanning.
>
>Does UVS mention about Tirumayilai CaNmukam PiLLai's earlier
>edition in his MaNimEkalai edition?

I am having 7th printing (1981) which is (I hope) almost
identical to 3rd edition (1931) (UVS passed away in 1942).
I don't think I have seen reference in its preface
to tirumayilai caNmukam piLLai's edition, but
it may have escaped me...

HOWEVER, in his autobiography
(chap.121, "maNimEkalaip patippu Arampam"),