varna and jati

Samar Abbas abbas at IOPB.RES.IN
Fri May 28 07:45:03 UTC 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Vishal Agarwal wrote:
> The truth is that Brahmins were at the forefront in the defence of the Hindu
> society and are said to have offered a stout resistance even to the forces
> of Alexander.

1. This is a bad example. The following reference at `The Revival of
Dravidian Religion' homepage, shows that the Brahmins helped the
Greeks to invade India: Kautilya the Brahmin engineered the Greek invasion
by means of his pupil Chandragupta requesting arms and soldiers from
Alexander in order to overthrow the Sudra Kingdom of Magadha :
   http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/1412/brahmins.html

The site answers the question `Why has Indian history been a series of
invasions?' with the answer `Because the Brahmins engineered them'.
A nexus between invading Muslims and invading Brahmins is also alleged.

2. The following reference reveals more about how the Brahmins came to
power under the British :
        http://www.khalistan.net/gskhalsa.htm

3. The following Hindutva reference praises the English for having
encouraged and created Hindutva :
        http://hindubooks.org/HinduPhe/index.htm
and shows the manifestly pro-English bias of the RSS. Frank and open.

4. Most of the officers who `collaborated' with the Muslims were Brahmins.
Many of the officials under Mogul rule were Brahmins. Many Brahmins
received grants from temples, and actively supported Muslim
rule.

5. The Brahmins of Sankara Mutt actively supported all Muslim rulers,
and during the Independance struggle supported the Nizam of Hyderabad
against the lower caste Dravidian Telugus. Many Brahmins now oppose
anything Muslim, but their ancestors actively `collaborated'. So did the
Rajputs, who helped the Moghuls conquer the south. Here, again, the
fraternity of the `white races' (Brahmins, Rajputs, Foreign Muslims) comes
to the fore.

Indeed, most of the Brahmins I have met went solely by skin color. They
would keep company with a fellow European white or a `white' Muslim, but
would have nothing to do with `lower caste' Sudra blacks. Hence, most
Hare Rama Hare Krishna followers are whites, very few are blacks.

Samar