varna and jati

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 27 22:33:51 UTC 1999

For an appraisal of the Anti-Brahmin rhetoric, please read the relevant
article at

http://www.hindu.org/publications/ramswarup/index.html

Suffice it to say that even the Mandal Commission report classifies Brahmin
subcastes under OBC's. For instance, Iyers are OBC's in AP, the Goswamis in
Delhi and so on. This shows that the notion of Brahmins being exploitative
is not tenable.

Besides, very few people know that not all so called 'Kashmirian Brahmins'
are Brahmins or Pundits. When the very existence of Hindus in Kashmir became
imperilled during the reign of a Muslim emperor, the caste system was
dissolved and all were elevated to the Brahmin status. Refer: "Converted
Kashmir: A Memorial of mistakes" by Saigal. The honorary title 'Pundit' was
accorded to all Kashmiri Hindus by a Firman of a late Mughal Emperor.

The truth is that Brahmins were at the forefront in the defence of the Hindu
society and are said to have offered a stout resistance even to the forces
of Alexander. The worst expolters of Sudras have actually been people of the
intermediate castes ( Including perhaps mine)

Regards

Vishal