Pronunciation of word final "a" in sanskrit

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 26 16:49:17 UTC 1999

Maybe Madhuresan should have taken care to specify that these mappings
apply
for naming conventions before "modernization" due to influence from
Hindi or the northern culture.
Wouldn't the Kannada names have been narAyaNa, ranganAthA etc., until
a few generations ago?
I have also been curious about the "age" of names such as anil, sunil
among kannadigas. Were these popular say till the end of the last
century?
For example, even in tamil nadu quite a few people are named
"Chandrasekar"
without the -an suffix and even when not so  named, they are adressed
without
the "-an" suffix.