varna and jati

Kamal R. Adhikary kradhikary at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed May 26 13:50:43 UTC 1999

This discussion started with 'Varna', so we got many responses as to
whether it  literally means skin color or it has little to do with it.  I
would appreciate if some of you could give your opinion on how and when the
untouchable category came into existence.  Were there untouchables since
the inception of the Varna scheme?
        Gratefully,
        Kamal