varna and jati

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Tue May 25 22:47:34 UTC 1999

> I had earlier posted a question asking for the earliest reference of
> Caucasians as "whites" in English/European literature. The reason for that
> question was if this is a recent development  of say 1000 years or so, then
> arriving at the conclusion that the Vedas attributed "white" to the Aryans
> would seem far fetched. In fact, the day I realised that the Caucasians were
> called "white", I was stupefied because I couldn't relate the colour white
> to the skin colour of Caucasians, it was more like pink or some other
> colour.
>
> Sujatha :)

This is highly inappropriate but I've  just GOT to tell my missionary joke.

There was a missionary in Africa who one day asked one of his black parishioners
the fatal question: "Tell me, what do you Africans REALLY think of us whites?"
The African answered: "Well, to be quite frank with you, you remind us of peeled
bananas".

Anyone for bananas?

Lars Martin Fosse