the meaning of varNa

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 25 02:17:26 UTC 1999

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ferenc Ruzsa <f_ruzsa at ISIS.ELTE.HU>
Subject: Re: the meaning of varNa
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:42:36 +0200

Sri Ruzca wrote
Dear Vishal,
Sure, it does not prove - it just makes it possible. And at places I have a
feeling that the most natural way of understanding varNa is that it at least
includes a hint at skin colour. E.g. in RV. II. 12, 4 b:
[i'ndro] dA'saM va'rNaM a'dharaM gu'hA'kaH
[Indra] made the varNa of the dAsas lower and hidden
the hidden varNa seems to suggest a 'not apparent' (not bright, i.e. dark)
colour.

Dear Sri Ruzca,

The original topic of discussion was color and caste. The equation
Sudra = Black
would hold only if the the following two equations hold good appropos the
Rik cited by you
1. Sudra = Dasa
2. Dasa = Black

Obviously, we are not sure of the complete validity of either of the 2
equations and taking the 'Indifferent Position' (viz. 50% probability for
both), the mathematical probability that the equation
Sudra = Black
holds true = 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 i.e. 25%

As you are aware, the Rigveda hardly dwells on the Varna Dharma.

Secondly, you have done good to use the word 'suggest'. To me, the
metaphorical meaning of the verse is clearly the primary meaning, since the
literal one is impossible. I presume that you would have access to the
commentaries of Sayana and Venkata Madhava. I could look or you commentaries
on this Mantra by some modern Indian scholars of you wish, to check how they
interpreted the mantra.

The metaphorical use of the word ' gu'hA'kaH' is analogous to the use of the
word 'Hiranya' in

'Hiranyavarnam harinim suvarna..."
which is a mantra of the famous Sri Sukta occuring in the Ashvalayana Shakha
of the Rigveda and appended as a Khila in the Shakala (vulgate), Bashkala
and the Shamkhayana Shakhas of Rigveda.

In any case, the word could mean/imply 'black' only if one's interpretation
is already biased with the notion of black dasas vis a vis white Aryans.
Please cite any other un-ambiguous example.

Regards

Vishal