Nambudiris

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 23 21:00:38 UTC 1999

The association of Lord Parshuram with the Namudiris as well as the
Konkanastha Brahmins might have something to do with their shared anscestry.
I am informed according to tradition, Lord Parshuram (who destroyed all the
Kshatriyas on the earth) reclaimed the land called Kerala nowadays by
throwing his bow into the sea (the state of Kerala indeed looks like an
unstretched bow) and then settled the 64 (I am not sure of the number)
Brahmin families therein. The name of Parsuram is infact hallowed in several
parts of Konkan (at least in the Maharashtra portion covering Ratnagiri and
other districts) and Northern Konkan has infact been called 'Parshuram' in
someold texts. For instance, a verse from Maharnava quoted in the commentary
on Saunakiya Caranavyuha says that the 'Hirnyakesins reside at Parsuram."
This is true even to this day as the followers of the Hiranyakesin Yajurveda
Shakha live even today at Ratnagiri, Alibad, Raigadh, Sidnhudurg etc. A
close friend of mine, who was my room mate at college, hailed from the same
village in Ratnagiri as Veer Savarkar (he still visits the village once a
year) and informed me that there are several Shiva temples in the region
said to have been found by Bhagvan Parshuram.

Regards

Vishal