Dr. Thompson's dating of the Rigveda

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 00:12:29 UTC 1999

Shri Agarwalji wrote:
 >  [...] Now, Yaskiya Nirukta itself is dated  by many as 6th Cent.
 >  B.C.E. So do you see the absurdity of Dr. Thompson's date.
[...]
 >Therefore, Dr. Thompson;s dating, based on a comparison of the other
 >Indo-Aryan languages, to the neglect of a rigorous study of Sanskrit
 >literature, is simply absurd.

   This "neglect of a rigorous study of Sanskrit literature"
cannot be said for Prof. Thompson; my friends tell that
GT got his Doctorate from UC, Berkeley on Vedic Sanskrit.
Among GT's many publications on vedas, I particularlt enjoyed
a) On Truth acts in Vedic, IIJ, 1998
b) Ahamkara and atmastuti, HR, 1997
c) The brahmodaya and vedic discourse, JAOS, 1997
d) From 'footstep' to 'word' in Sanskrit, Semiotica, 1995

Your blaming is incorrect in this case, I am afraid.

Regards,
V. Iyer