VarAha Carama shloka

Mani Varadarajan mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU
Thu May 20 23:16:13 UTC 1999

> In  support  of  their  doctrine  of  Prapatti,  the  ShrI-VaiShNavas
> quote  4  Sanskrit  passages.  I  know  the  scriptural  citations  for
> three,  but  have  not  been  able  to  nail  the  fourth  one  down,
> i.e.  the  VarAha  carama  shloka.  Here  is  the  Sanskrit  text:
>
> sthite  manasi  susvasthe  sharIre  satiyo  naraH
> dhAtu  sAmye  sthite  smartA  vishvarUpan.ca  mAmajam
> tamevam  mRyamANAntu  kAShTapAShANa  sannibham
> aham  smarAmi  madbhaktam  nayAmi  paramAngatim.
>
> Is  this  from  the  VarAha  PurANa?

This is known as the varAha carama sloka. It is not in
extant versions of the varAha purANa.

The three carama slokas (Gita, Ramayana, and Varaha) are
used almost mantraically and are treated specially by the
tradition.  Recently, I saw a tract by the Tridandi Jiyar
Swami which quoted a Narasimha carama sloka as well.
This is not present in the early acharyas' writings.

Sri Vaishnavas quote far more than these four in support
of their doctrine of prapatti.  You may wish to see
Abhinava Ranganatha Parakala Swami's "gUDArthasangraha",
a voluminous commentary on Sribhashya 1.1.1, where he
discusses the origin of the prapatti doctrine in extenso.

Mani