Sanskrit stone inscription (1500 years old) found in Central China

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 13:01:52 UTC 1999

For Chola style sculptures in China, pl. refer the rare book:
  Gustav Ecke, The twin pagodas of Zayton: a study of
later Buddhist sculpture in China, Harvard Univ. press, 1935.

BTW, I know well Dr. David Sanford who did his PhD with
Ecke as his supervisor; Unfortunately, David does not
write much! His film collection is UNPARALLELED,
he has about *3500* rolls on Chola temples, sculpture etc.,
He has good collection on Kerala murals too.
Many of these have disappeared, hope an institution
can get them and house and process and make a selection
of slides available from Dr. Sanford's collection.
David lived in Kumabakonam for years.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

>Sanskrit stone inscription found in central China

Is this in the grantha script? If so, via the sea contacts.
In 1956, a Tamil inscription on South China has been
found, A Shiva temple talking of "kaDaliiccuram uTaiya
nAyanAr". I think Gustav Ecke (UCLA) wrote a book on
a Chola style temple in South China long time ago.

Or, may be via Kashmir, Central Asia.

Regards,
N. Ganesan