Does the Purusha will?

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 19 23:58:28 UTC 1999

Ferenc writes :
>There seem to be three different aspects present: a process, a state (or
>action) and a disposition. When I get to know something (learning,
>discovering etc.) that is the process. When you "mentally see", currently
>think of, something that is the state. When you already know something
>(able
>to remember it when need arises) that is the disposition.

Thought can be represented in only one form - process. It's an ever changing
stream, one thought following the other. Even when you say you're "thinking"
about something, it's but a succession of thoughts about a particular
subject and not one single thought about the subject. This is the root,
where the Bauddha concept of momentariness (ksAnikavAda), flowered from.

Disposition involves existent knowledge and not thought. The knowledge
itself might be the product of thought, is not thought itself.

I don't think the linkage of "state" to thought, can stand critical
analysis. Unless, you state the moment of the thought itself is the state.

>Now intuition seems to be a process, while proper knowledge is either a
>state or a disposition. 'Thinking' can be used either for a process (I am
>thinking hard) or for a state (I think it's going to rain).
>The process seems to be by its very nature unpropositional, while the state
>(and more or less the disposition) is propositional.
>So perhaps you might get with a sudden flash of intuition at proper
>knowledge, still it will be propositional.

Let's suppose I'm trying to sell a car to somebody. The person has seen it
and likes it too. But he's haggling over the price, pleading that whatever
he has offered is the best he can do. But my intuition tells me that if I
stick to my guns he'll pay my price.

Here when I saw that he liked my car, it did involve thought. The knowledge
that he likes the car is the product of this thought. Then when he started
haggling over the price, I've already gauged how much he'd pay for the car.
This is due to the knowledge already accumulated and further thought due to
his appearance, interest in the car etc. So my intuition that he would pay
the price, is only due to the accumulated knowledge.

Intuition doesn't involve thought. It's a sudden realization due to prior
knowledge. In actuality, this realization, this knowledge itself is
intuition.

The Self - consciousness - knowledge - in truth already knows itself. At
realization, it intuitively knows itself - intuition aided by prior
knowledge.