Dr. Thompson's dating of the Rigveda

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 19 15:44:30 UTC 1999

--- Vishal Agarwal <vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
[...]
> At present, we have about 200 Vedic texts (from Samhitas to
> Kalpasutraparisistas) extant. [...] therefore can safely assume that there
> were literally more than a 1000 texts that existed once.
> If we assume that Dr. Thompson is correct, then we will have to
> agree that 'Vedic Aryans' composed and compiled more than 1000 texts in 13
> centuries.

 Let us work with the extant texts, I do not see a big problem
 in composing them all over India over a period of
 13 centuries. Didn't mahakavis have power to compose 1000s
 of songs overnite?

> Therefore, Dr. Thompson;s dating, based on a comparison of the other
> Indo-Aryan languages, to the neglect of a rigorous study of Sanskrit
> literature, is simply absurd.

 Just the volume of texts may not necessarily lead to this
 conclusion.

 Regards.