Epigraphic curses

Michael Rabe mrabe at ARTIC.EDU
Mon May 17 15:38:00 UTC 1999

FYI, by chance yester day I found the proverbial needle in a haystack... a
Nayak period inscr on the 2nd gopura, Tanjavur, dated Zaka 1499 expired [AD
1577], contains the very curse I need to help read the Nagappatinam
buddha's inscription.  Published w/o estampage in tamil and Eng. trans. in
SII v.II, Part IV, no. 97.  I know about other curses, from Mamallapuram's
"6 times dammed..." zaiva zApa, etc.,  but any more of this exact one will
help to date the sculpture in question.
Here's the translation from Hultzsch/Venkayya/Krishna Sastri:
"One who obstructs this charity shall incur the sin of having killed tawny
cows on the banks of the Ganges.  One who obstructs this charity shall
incur the sin of having pulled out a thousand lingas." [p. 499]

Thanks,
Michael Rabe