Rigveda: dravidian word oka, home

Bh.Krishnamurti bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu May 13 17:56:25 UTC 1999

>Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:35:07 +0500
>To: kalyan97 at yahoo.com
>From: "Bh.Krishnamurti" <bhk at hd1.vsnl.net.in>
>Subject: Re: Rigveda: dravidian word oka, home
>

>Dear Kalyanaraman:
>I agree with Prof. Witzel that Skt. o:kas- 'dwelling' is an IE word. Don't
forget that it is a long o: unlike Drav. short o; since there is no short o
in Skt. the spelling can be misleading.
>Ta. okkal 'relations' (DEDR 925) is derived from PD root *o 'to be
united', cf. Kur. okk- 'fit well' (DEDR 924). Burrow and Emeneau have been
very conservative in keeping meaning groups separate even if they have
transparent relationship. The other meanings like family, joint
agriculture, etc. derive from this root. There is a Telugu .sa.sthi:vibhkti
-yokka 'of, belonging to' which I traced to this root. Both Ta. and Ma. in
infinitive have o-kk-a. The Ko.dagu meaning fits this frame. The core
meaning is 'to be together, be united, etc.' and not a 'dwelling', etc. for
which we have *il, *wi:.du, etc. I do not know if Enlish  house is from the
same root. Skt. divaukasas- 'gods residing in diva-'. The Dravidian word
and the IE are different. One can always find accidental resemblances of
this kind. The Dravidian numeral one has three PD reconstructions, *on-_t-,
*o:r-/*or-V-, *okk-. I think they all go at a deeper level of derivation to
pre-Dravidian root *o 'to be united into one'. Regards,

Chennai 600015;http://sarasvati.simplenet.com
>>http://sarasvati.listbot.com http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
>>http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer
Shiva-Nataraja)