INDOLOGY Digest - 10 May 1999 to 11 May 1999 (#1999-55)

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 20:33:19 UTC 1999

>The people from Kanchipuram-Arcot areas being called vaDadeSattu vaDamas
>and the vaDamas in the Tanjavur area are called cozhadeSattu vaDamas. The
>latter are distinct from the cozhias. The vaDadeSattu vaDamas refer to
>their cozhadeSa brethren as 'tekkEttiyAn' (southerners). This could
>complicate the geographical picture, as the cozhadeSattu vaDamas seem to
>have been in the Tanjavur area from the 9th century or so, and I would
>assume that some of them became SrIvaishNavas too.

My family is of the vaDadeSattu vaDama smArtha branch from North Arcot and
are traditionally aligned with the Shankara matham in KAnchIpuram. A friend
of my father, though an Iyengar, is of the same sub caste and also shares
our surname. He is able to trace our line to MahArAshtra during the times of
the Peshwa.