Epigraphic curses

Michael Rabe mrabe at ARTIC.EDU
Thu May 13 12:43:59 UTC 1999

Can anyone suggest a reference in Epigraphia Indica or some such
publication for the curse, said to be fairly widespread in its currency, to
the effect that one who harms the  benefaction will incur sin equal to that
of one who kills a milk-giving cow on the bankes of the Ganges?

I have reason to believe this refrain concludes a previously unpublished
inscription that I am having trouble deciphering on a sculpture from
Nagapattinam that belongs to the Art Institute of Chicago.  Based on a
preliminary eye-copy ESI officers, Mysore, have recognized that portion of
the text and said that it may date from the Vijayanagar period.  But where
does one begin going through the thousands of other South Indian
inscriptions looking for a match in sentiment and orthography?  Thus if
anyone can recall seeing this particular curse cited anywhere, it will be
an enormous help in preparing a more accurate transcription to take back to
Mysore for a second attempt at having it fully translated.

Much thanks,
Michael Rabe
SAIC/SXU/Chicago