Tanagalai and Vadagalai

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 11 17:28:04 UTC 1999

"kalai" is the term always used, kalai(= Skt. kalA). I heard that Skt.
 kalA is from Ta. kalai, the root being Tamil 'kal' (=to dig, to learn),
(Is it given in Mayrhofer or DED?).

Also, vaDakalai sect always revered Alvars' works, In fact,
Vedanta Desikan's Tamil poems are very good & one of a kind.
Among Srivaishnavas, I know vaDakalai folks coming from
non-brahmin castes and who do not know Sanskrit at all.

I do not think the following info is correct.

Regards,
SM