hAlAsyapurANa and hAlAsyarahasya

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 10 14:51:13 UTC 1999

 >Dear Dr. Ganesan,
 >Is it possible to know the time of the year when the annual vaZhuvUr
 >festival of Shiva and the elephant is performed?  Thank you for the
 >information in advance.
 >Gautama

Dear Dr. Vajracharya,

The 8 temples spread in Tanjore, South Arcot districts where
'Siva performed 8 different heroic deeds have a) special bronzes,
b) specific 'Siva dances, c) festivals on different days of the year,
and d) the way the idol of 'Siva is carried in the procession
are splendid and belong to atleast, say, 1300-1400 year tradition.

According to the Vazhuvuur (in Maayuuram/MayilADuthuRai taluk)
Devasthanam publication, (R. Panchanadam Pillai,
vazhuvuur aalaya varalaaRu, 1950) this Gajasamhara dance
happens in February of each year. In the Tamil month Maasi,
magha nakshatram, on the full moon day.

Lord Thyagaraja performs ajaba dance in Thiruvaaruur,
I am sure the different dances of 'Siva are dealt ably in the
excellent work by Rajeshwari.
Rajeshwari Ghose, The Tyagaraja cult in Tiruvarur: a study
in conflict and accomodation, M. Banarsidass, 1996, 414 p.
Pl. check and tell us more.

I forgot to mention earlier: There are beautiful Chola
bronzes in vazhuvuur. Still unpublished to my knowledge
(many Chola bronzes remain that way).
1) Bhikshaadana 2) Mohanamba 3) Parvati, the consort
of Gajasamharamurti is standing on the side with
little fear and shyness. She is holing the baby Skanda in the
right side of her hip. The infant Murukan (skanda) points
his finger to Gajasamhara. This Gajasamhara alone is published
in S. R. Balasubrahmanyam, Middle Chola temples and
C. Sivaramamurti, Nataraja in art, thought, literature.
The vazhuvuur, famous for Bharatanatyam gurus of many
film stars and Mrinalini Sarabhai, daughter of Ammu Swaminathan,
folks say the beauty of Gajasamharamurti is in the
sole of his foot being visible.

Regards,
N. Ganesan