Gentoo studies

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sat May 8 05:48:22 UTC 1999

N. Ganesan wrote:

>             Is Dravidian language family really an aberrant, erroneous
>             construct? Is Dravidian an "artificial" family? Or, is
>             Tamil a mere vernacular from Sanskrit?

Or even more interesting: is your name really N. Ganesan (a popular
subject awhile ago).

Seriously though, the issue is not whether Dravidian, Munda and "Aryan"
languages are related, but whether Dr. Kalyanaraman can even
pose such questions in the Western academic paradigm.

However, I think you have misrepresented Kalyanaraman.  Does he state
that "Tamil is a mere dialect of Sanskrit."

His argument seems to arise from a different approach in ascertaining
"genetic relationship."  What might casually be ascribed to "areal"
influences by others might in his view be something much more
substantial.

Given that, I don't quite agree with Kalyanaraman's theory that European
languages originated in Europe - the Out of India theory (if that is
actually what he is suggesting).  There is no more evidence supporting
this theory than there is the Aryan Invasion Theory.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala