Prof. Kuiper (was: Re: Sanskrit dance and drama)

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Fri May 7 10:56:09 UTC 1999

As a testimony to prof. Kuiper's detailed interest
into Tamil, see also:

International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 1974,
Vol.III, No.1, pp.135-153
"The Genesis of a Linguistic Area", F.B.J. Kuiper
(this is a reprint of the text of the Collitz lecture delivered
at the summer meeting of the LSA, Ann Arbor, july 30,1965)

I will simply quote an excerpt from note 41 (p.147)

"[...] My sincere thanks are due to Dr. Kamil Zvelebil,
 who kindly checked the majority of the passages
 in the _PuRanAn2URu_. He found that _en2a_ occurs
 in _PuRam_ at least 200 times as a simple marker
 of direct speech, [...]

Best wishes

- Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD (Paris)

At 16:03 -0700 5/6/99, Venkatraman Iyer wrote:
 >Kuiper ...  did not know Tamil.

Michael Witzel <witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU> wrote
>>see for example 2 of F. B. J. Kuiper's  papers on OLD Tamil in his
>>collection : Selected Writings on Indian Linguistics and Philology,
>>Amsterdam-Atlanta 1997.

Venkatraman Iyer <venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote