Karnataka, Kannada

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 7 13:53:29 UTC 1999

naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM writes:
<< kalnADu gets sanskritized as karnATaka. >>

>I do not think this is correct. Before agreeing with this suggestion
>concerning kan2n2ATu and karunATU, one will have to explain the pair
>nen2n2al and nerunal, occurring in CT. Also, is the underlying
>process different from cases where, for example, Tamil naturalizes
>Sanskrit karNa, and varma as kan2n2an2, and van2man2 respectively?

Yes. The presence of `nerunal' (many times in CT)and `nen2n2al'
(once in aiGkuRunURu) makes the invoking of Sanskrit icon
unnecessary. 'karunATu' and `kannATu' can happen within
Tamil/Dravidin internally too.

Note also that Jaffna dictinary (KatiraivERpiLLai, ..)has
'karu' as mETu (height, eminence, little hill, rising ground)
and mEn2mai (greatness, from < mEl=that which is high, above).
The Cologne online dictionary (OTL) has `central elevation which
is raised in the middle' for `karu' as one meaning.

Hence, kan2n2ATu as well as karunATu mean the same:
`raised land, hilly tracts'. Like 'male nADu'.
Comapare the several CT usages of kan2n2ATu, kan2n2ATan2 etc.,

Regards,
N. Ganesan