Sanskrit dance and drama

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 7 01:22:27 UTC 1999

>see for example 2 of F. B. J. Kuiper's  papers on OLD Tamil in his
>collection : Selected Writings on Indian Linguistics and Philology,
>Amsterdam-Atlanta 1997.

Thanks for the reference. I will read them. However, I am
still skeptical: it takes years of training to master Tamil
just like Sanskrit. Did Kuiper have that? I remember Jean-Luc
Chevillard saying some thing on poruL (meaning) and col (words)
of old texts. I know people working from a volume of DED,
Kuiper being a great linguist and master of several IE languages,
he would have intuitively grapsed many things related to Tamil.
Still, to know Tamil fully is a different matter, I would think.