Indian onager

C.R. Selvakumar selvakum at VALLUVAR.UWATERLOO.CA
Fri Mar 26 17:08:58 UTC 1999

*Jules Bloch proposed intial g- in this form for Proto-Dravidian like
**g(a)ard- which he said is preserved in Telugu as a g- form ga:.dida, and as
*g(a)ard-abha in Sanskrit. He said it was devoiced later in Ta. Ma. Ka., etc.
*(South Dravidian). The Parji, etc.  forms (gadha-type) are borrowed from Mdn
*Indo-Aryan. I discussed this problem under intial voicing in my TVB.
*Bh.K.

    Prof. Krishnamurti,

    I find your citation of Bloch's proposal interesting.
    It would be great if you can
    kindly share the supporting reasons. It is possible that k > g or
    g > k or even these transformations could have flip flopped over time,
    if one were to merely guess.
    How does one prove (or sunstantiate) that Tamil and Kannada 'devoiced',
    especially Kannada ?
    I'm asking this question in the interest of understanding
    the scientific basis or the methodology employed in arriving
    at this claim.

    Regards

    Selva