Women in Afghanistan

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Thu Mar 18 21:28:56 UTC 1999

Dan Lusthaus charged:

<<Should Poland be singled out for its inhospitability toward Jews
(both
before and after the Holocaust; many Jews who no longer identified
themselves as Jewish were made to leave Poland in the 1960s)? I
agree
Poland should not be made to bear the full brunt of European
antisemitism,
but it can hardly deny being a major player (where, after all, were
the
Death Camps?)>>

Lusthaus talks as if Poland had some choice as to where the death
camps would be.  They were placed there, by Germany not by Poland,
because it was conquered territory and because that's where more Jews
were.  Not to mention that a hefty percentage of the non-Jewish
citizenry of Poland was placed in them as well.  There were
significant limitations on the 'inhospitality' of pre-Holocaust Poland
to Jews, considering that as I recall and without rechecking sources
they constituted as they traditionally had about 10 % of the
population, a percentage as far as I know unparalleled  in any
European polity except perhaps some mercantile city-states.

Allen Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.