Original Dravidian Homeland

H. Mark Hubey HubeyH at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sat Jun 19 00:56:42 UTC 1999

Ferenc Ruzsa wrote:

> >Does Hungarian meny (a kind of fish) and menny (heaven)
> >come from a verb something to do with brightness or shining?
>
> To my best knowledge not. (Though you can say lightning with 'menny' also in
> hungarian, but they are plain compounds: 'mennyko' (heaven-stone) and
> 'mennydörgés' (heaven-thunder).)

I wanted to keep out of this, but this word can be connected with
minngi (Karachay-Balkar mountain name as in Minngi TAu) and something
like
Minngir (or Mungur) from one of the Nilo-Saharan languages which denotes
something like a god that lives in the sky or in high places or is the
name
of a mountain where a god (sky god lives). I think I read it in a book
or article relating to NS or Dravidian.
--
Sincerely,
M. Hubey