yAzmuRippaN (Re: viLari and tODi rAga)

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 17 00:50:10 UTC 1999

In a message dated 6/11/99 5:03:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Interesting. Is there any known textual source of the story about yAzh
>  pANar? Or is it one of those tales that get reinforced by simple
repetition?

Since there was no response to this question till now, here is a late
response. The episode is described in periyapurANam 2342-2350.

But there are internal contradictions within the story. To me the story is
based on a possible historical opposition by a segment of pANar to the
temple-based Sanskritic culture of medieval Tamilnadu. The status of pANar as
described by the zaivite (and vaiSNavite) traditions do not seem to be
factual.

Regards
S. Palaniappan