hayragreva

Mani Varadarajan mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jun 16 21:35:43 UTC 1999

> At 02:03 PM 6/15/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >Dear list members,
> >I am looking for references to hayragreva (spelling?) the horse headed demon
> >and the Vishnu avatar of the same name/appearance.  Any suggestions as to
> >sources I could look into either visual (i.e., temple engravings, etc.) or
> >textual (translations or source materials)?
> >Regards,
> >Benjamin Fleming

Hayagriva is a very important deity for Vaidika Vaishnavas,
particularly in the South.

Please see these links for semi-scholarly articles:

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/acharyas/desika/stotras/hayagriva-nk.html
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug98/0166.html
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug98/0170.html
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug98/0172.html
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug98/0188.html

These links contain references to the Vedas, Puranas,
Tamil Divya Prabandham, and works of Sri Vaishnava scholars.

Mani