Pythagoras mentioned in Vedas?-A simpler explanalation

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 14 23:16:38 UTC 1999

Dear Toke,

Detailed response is as below:

----Original Message Follows----
From: Toke Lindegaard Knudsen <tlk at MATH.KU.DK>
Subject: Re: Pythagoras mentioned in Vedas?-A simpler explanalation
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:38:56 +0200

VA Wrote:
 > I advance a simpler explanation:
 >
 > The Pythagoras theorem has been stated in the Baudhayana Sulba Sutras.
Now
 > many Hindus (like Sayanacarya) include even the Kalpasutras in the
cateogory
 > of Vedas, and the Hare Krishnas include even the Puranas etc. in 'Vedic
 > Literature.'
Toke wrote:
Actually I do not have enough knowledge on this.  I rely mostly on
translations of the Sulbasutras and related articles and essays
which deal primarily with the mathematics.  I also want to know
more about the actual rituals and the procedures involved (other
than the geometric constructions).  I was referred to one book
called "Agni" edited by Frits Staal, which I somehow have
difficulties finding.
VA WRITES: The complete reference for the concerned book is given below
(beware however that it is biased towards the Srauta rituals of the
Nambudiri community and so is not really representative of of the entire
gamut of Vedic ritual). Several American libraries have this text and so you
can order it via ILL.
Author:         Staal, Frits.

Title:          Agni, the Vedic ritual of the fire altar / by Frits Staal,
in
                   collaboration with C.V. Somayajipad and M. Itti Ravi
                   Nambudiri ; photographs by Adelaide de Menil.

Published:      Berkeley, Ca. : Asian Humanities Press, 1983.

                   cm.)

Subjects, Library of Congress :
                 Agnicayana (Hindu rite)

Contributors:   Somayajipad, C. V. (Cherumukku Vaidikan)
                 Itti Ravi Nambudiri, M.
                 De Menil, Adelaide.

Notes:          2 folded leaves in back pockets of v. 2.
                 Includes index.
                 Bibliography: p. 703-716.

ISBN:           0895814501 (set)
____________________________

Toke wrote:
Does anyone have other references to these
things?
VA WRITES: Unfortunately, the books I am aware of are in Hindi, Sanskrit,
Gujarati and Marathi. These might not of much help to you. But you could do
an author's search under 'Frits Staal' or a keyword search under 'Srauta'

Toke Wrote:
Also good references concerning the Vedas (explanations
of the divisions of the Veda, relations between different Vedic
literatures, relations between Vedas and, say, Kalpasutras) would
be appreciated.
VA WRITES: The best works are again in India vernaculars (One is a massive 8
volume series, and the other is a 3 volume one). For your purposes, you
might useeither of the following2  small texts in English: