!Re: Sri Aurobindo

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jun 10 23:34:22 UTC 1999

> Even before Sri Aurbindo, Swami Dayanda (1824-1883)  rejected the AIT.
> Reference his writings. Early Arya Samaj authors follow the Svami's lead and
> the trend continues to this day.

Dayananda Saraswati was of the opinion that the Aryans came from Tibet. The
point in my particular context is this: Before Golwalkar made this a matter for
faith, so to speak, among Hindu nationalists, there were several other Hindu
nationalists who accepted the idea that the Aryans came from outside South Asia.
Both Tilak and Savarkar did, Tilak thought they came from the Arctic areas. To
keep up suspense, I won't tell you WHY I think that opposition to the Aryan
Invasion Theory became an integrated part of Hindu nationalism, you will have to
read my paper.

(I bet this will send you scuttling to the nearest book shop round Xmas!)

With businesslike regards,

Lars Martin