Is "Sanskrit" Dravidian ?

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 10 14:21:26 UTC 1999

In this regard, a serious question along the lines of dropping
the final "a"  in Skt word.

 The final "-am" also gets dropped.
e.g., kumArasambhavam would become "kumArsambhav" in Hindi (and other
north Indian IE languages too?)(kumAr + sambahv).

*When* did this start happening, if at all the original Skt. version
was ever adhered to?

Having lived in Delhi for 7 years, I had feeling that the northerners
seem to feel that the "a"s and "am"s "bloating" the original Skt words
were too South Indian or Dravidian; they seem to have a linguistic urge
to get to a version that has a clipped accent to it.

Regards
Chandra