Resist!

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Tue Jun 1 15:05:55 UTC 1999

Dear list members,

I agree with Harry Falk and George Thompson.

To draw a hard line between professional and non-professional scholars
is (especially in the case of Indology!!!) very problematic.
For many reasons, coexistence is structural.
There are so many possible points of view for philology, etc.....

I have often felt the problem was not a problem of the quality
of postings but of the QUANTITY.

I am absolutely sure some LISTSERV wizard
is holding the solution to INDOLOGY's woes.

I can't imagine why it would not be possible
to program LISTSERV in such a way that it will
REFUSE TO ACCEPT MORE THAN N POSTS FROM ONE SINGLE ACCOUNT
FOR A PERIOD OF ONE MONTH.

I would choose N=5 (or N=3  ???)
 (with 600 members, we have a maximum of 3000 posts a month :-))
  which is largely enough ...)   (or 1800 posts)

Who needs to post more than 5 times a month???

The LISTSERV programming wizard would insert a DAEMON
that would answer, when message Number 6 comes:
"SORRY! YOUR CREDIT FOR THIS MONTH HAS EXPIRED!
 TRY NEXT MONTH!"

All Dominik has to do is to find a wizard and a daemon!!!

Regards to everybody! Long live INDOLOGY!

-- Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD (PARIS)