Some comments, answers, and questions (was Re: Indology constraints (contd.))

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 12 21:23:25 UTC 1999

In a message dated 7/9/99 5:00:02 AM Central Daylight Time, ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
writes:

> No, actually there is no warning for this.  What happens is that only 3
>  messages get sent out; the fourth is held over to the next day.

Thanks for this clarification. Also, am I correct to understand that there
will be no warnings to a person as long as the limits - 2k typed-in
characters per message and 15 messages per month are not exceeded? It is only
when these are exceeded, the relative ranking will be used to issue warnings.
Right?

Messages could be kept off the list by appropriately using of the command
"review indology" to contact specific members if only the command would work
as described in the Indology web site. It does not seem to work now. One gets
the message, "You are not authorized to review the INDOLOGY list." Any idea
when it will be fixed?
-------
Sometime ago, M. M. Deshpande wrote, "I would appreciate any help in tracing
specific references in Tamil works to the inclusion of Maharashtra and
Gujarat among the five Dravidian regions." The following post-CT verse is
sometimes interpreted as referring to the five Dravidian regions.

tamiz maNTalam aintum tAviya jnAn2am
umizvatu pOla ulakam tirivAr
avizum man2amum em Ati aRivum
tamiz maNTalam aintum tattuvam AmE
-------
Later, Mani Varadarajan asked about the parents of mAl. The following line
explicitly says he does not have any.

piRavAp piRappu ilai piRappittOr ilaiyE  (pari.3.72)

This paripATal song revealing considerable Sanskritic influence is also very
important for pointing out zrIvaiSNavite, and zaivite hagiographies (and
secular Tamil scholars including G. Hart) are absolutely wrong in assigning a
low status for pANar, the bards. (See tiruppANAzvAr and tirunIlakaNTar
stories.) In the following line, viSNu is praised as pulavan2 and pANan2.
This line is not part of a section of nindAstuti  either.

tol iyal pulava nal yAz pANa (pari.3. 86)
-------
A final question.

In the Tamil tradition, AJjaneya is described as an expert in the grammar
Aindra. Do the Sanskrit texts mention anything like this?

Regards
S. Palaniappan