Indology constraints (contd.)

George Cronk george9252 at MSN.COM
Wed Jul 7 12:21:29 UTC 1999

I have mixed feelings about this.  I am a "non-professional" from the United
States (New Jersey), of European and Native-American ("Indian") heritage(s),
although I do have a Ph.D. degree in Philosophy, teach Philosophy and
Religion, and have edited two anthologies of English renditions of Eastern
philosophical classics (Confucius, Nagarjuna, Nishida, Shamkara,
Radhakrishnan, etc.).  I do read and translate Greek, Latin, French, and
German -- but not Sanskrit or other Indian languages, which is mainly why I
say I am a "non-professional."

I have been a member of the list for more than two years.  I follow the list
on a daily basis, but I participate (put my 2 cents in) only very
occasionally.  That's because I do feel that I am a "non-professional" here,
and I think that, as such, I should mainly "hear" what the experts are
saying on the subjects addressed on the list.

I do find it a pain that some members of the list enter message after
message after message, often of rather significant length, and very often in
order to (apparently) grind political, religious, and ethnic-cultural axes.
Some of this axe-grinding, ideological (not "indological") stuff is
interesting; some of it is fascinating (to an "outsider"); but a lot of it
is really insufferable and boring.

I guess I would like to offer myself as an example for other
"non-professionals":  Be a list-member; follow the discussions that interest
you (deleting those that don't); "hear" regularly, but "speak" only once in
a while.

Dr. George Cronk
Chair, Dept. of Philosophy & Religion
Bergen Community College (NJ)