Blood circulation

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Jul 6 10:29:08 UTC 1999

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Stephens wrote:

> In this context, what is Shushruta's take on the human anatomy? Since
> he seems to have carried out anatomical studies on dead bodies, did he
> write anything about blood circulation.

Nothing on blood "circulation".  See my book "The Roots of Ayurveda" pp.36
ff. for more on the ducts and tubes in the body, and what they carry.

See also

  editor =          "Thomas P. Kasulis and  Roger T. Ames and Wimal
                         Dissanayake",
  title =           "Self as body in Asian theory and practice",
  publisher =       "SUNY",
  year =            "1993",
  address =         "New York",
  isbn =            "0-7914-1080-3"

which contains important articles by Staal, Larson, and Koller on the
Indian body.

Also, Sue Hamilton's chapter in

  editor =          "Jane Marie Law",
  title =           "{Religious reflections on the human body}",
  publisher =       "Indiana University Press",
  year =            "1995",
  address =         "Bloomington and Indianapolis",
  isbn =            "0-253-33263-X"

Also

  author =          "Francis Zimmermann",
  title =           "{Remarks on the conception of the body in Ayurvedic
  medicine}",
  journal =         "South Asian Digest of Regional Writing",
  year =            "1979",
  volume =          "8",
  pages =           "10--26",
  isbn =            "3-515-03940-6",
  note =            "Actually published in 1983",

Dasgupta (1969), vol. 2, ch. 13, is good on several topics to do with the
body:  tubes (veins, arteries, nerves) in the body, growth, embryology
(see esp.  pp. 288#93, 302# 19)

Best,
--
Dominik Wujastyk